If you’re in the market for a really awesome cruelty-free, gluten-free, and toxic-free neutral palette with a pop of colour (a sizzling gold/yellow shade) – this Zuzu Luxe “Peep Show” Palette by Gabriel Cosmetics is totally for you! It’s been a go-to for me lately, as I love the deeper bronzy/chocolate colours! I love a great summery palette and this one definitely achieves that sun-kissed, summer-look!
I really enjoy mixing and matching the super blendable shadows. I apply it with a dry brush for soft day time eye look, or I use a damp brush for a more bold, intense look. It’s however you wish to do it – I personally like to mix the two techniques! The whole palette contains natural ingredients including Titanium Dioxide which functions as a natural sun block. So, you’re not only making your eyes stand out, but you’re protecting them too in the process. Win/win!
Peep Show Shadow Colors Amber – Sizzling Gold Toasted – Warm Brown/shimmer Velvet – Deep Brown/shimmer Nude – Neutral Ivory
Peep Show Powder Color Translucent – sheer setting powder that leaves skin with a flawless finish (this stuff does some serious mattefying of the skin too, if you have any shine!)
Peep Show Blush Color Bitten – neutral red for perfectly flushed cheeks (almost as if someone pinched you – in a good way!)
Zuzu Luxe “Peep Show” palette: Nude all over the lid and inner corner of eyes. Amber on the center of the lid and added more depth/saturation with damp brush.
All in all, I highly recommend picking up one of these palettes, whether it be Peep Show, or one of their other palettes – Gabriel Cosmetics will not steer you the wrong way with their high quality, beautifully blendable and pigmented eye colours, blush and powder.
I am currently LOVING this new artist, Amber Bain. She goes by The Japanese House and this 19-year-old London-based singer is blowing me out of the water with her atmospheric 80’s-esque synths and warm, dream-pop sounds. They totally wash over you and make you feel like you’re standing in the middle of an ocean as waves crash in around you. Or, at least to me it does…check it out! ;)
I recently came across this skincare line that claimed to balance the pH of the skin and act as emollients or conditioners for the skin. The entire line, working in a “positive manner with the body’s bio-system to aid in skin restoration, which expedites the recovery and repair of skin from various unpleasant and unattractive skin conditions.” That was pretty impressive to me, and so, I dived right in to see if what these skincare products claimed to do was true.
Aleavia‘s products are alkaloid based bio-stimulants which actually feed a wide variety of friendly microorganisms on the skin causing the healthy bacteria to go into a feeding frenzy. This ultimately results in much higher activity levels of normal friendly bacteria. Over a short period of time, the “good guys” will completely overwhelm any harmful bacteria, virtually eliminating skin disorders of many types. These skin care products accomplish this on a molecular level using a combination of 100%-natural, organic, and environmentally safe ingredients.
Pretty great, right? I mean, why subject your skin to any sort of harsh chemical or toxic ingredient? Aleavia has been such a Godsend to me. Simple, cleansing, soothing, restoring and refreshing. I’ve been loving it!
Immerse Lavender Prebiotic Soothing Body Wash
Boy, was I ever impressed (still am) with this extremely moisturizing, and calming body wash. You know, I remember back in the day when I’d use a generic body wash (full of terrible ingredients) that claimed a lot of these same properties, but wasn’t living up to the hype. I’d wonder why my body felt super dry and almost “squeaky”…not realizing I had stripped it completely void of any natural and beneficial body oils. This body wash does exactly the opposite and is amazing and definitely leaves me smelling lovely, fresh and feeling smooth and clean.
Immerse Lavender Prebiotic Soothing Body Wash
Cleanse Prebiotic Neutralizing Facial Cleanser and Makeup Remover
No lie, my hands-down, favourite facial cleanser right now! When I want a serious cleanse from a full-face of makeup – this is it.
It’s hard to find an organic, chemical-free, natural oil based cleanser that does the job of completely getting off ALL makeup. Sometimes it’s tough because there isn’t enough lather, or you feel like you need to really “wipe” all of what’s left, off with a cloth or something. The best thing about Cleanse is it is 100% organic, and it removes make up quickly and entirely, all in one wash. Seriously, the best facial cleanser I’ve come across yet.
Cleanse Prebiotic Neutralizing Facial Cleanser and Makeup Remover
Restore Prebiotic Skin Restoration
This…spray…is…awesome! It was specifically created to take unhealthy skin and restore it back to healthier conditions. Of course, with all natural ingredients, the Restore spray is truly..well, restorative, ha. It not only can be used on your face and body, but your scalp as well. Lord knows with all the crazy ingredients in hair care products I’ve used year after year, prior to detoxing my skin/body care, my scalp needs some healing! It can tend to be dry, sometimes itchy, so I welcome any organic/clean hair care product that claims to soothe and restore.
Lately, after I shower, I towel dry my hair and section off some front pieces (where I get most dry) and spray it with Restore. It immediately feels refreshed and soothes any irritation I may still have – I’ve definitely noticed a difference! Along with the uses mentioned above, this spray is also great for those with rosacea, eczema, acne or scarring.
Restore Prebiotic Skin Restoration
I really do love this whole organic skincare/body care line and recommend it to anyone and everyone! The simple, prebiotic ingredients are seriously amazing and I can personally say that I am very happy with the results. I will continue to use Aleavia and look forward to healthier, happier skin!
Ok, so now for some long awaited music! I’m SUPER proud of this band (Les and Jake are good pals) – they’ve come a long way from their Nashville days to their recent move to L.A.! These dudes are SO talented! You can read more about them in an interview I did with them last year, here.
Their new song Someone Else has been on repeat since it released Tuesday! It’s sooo good. So go ahead, check out LANY:
astronomyy is where it’s at this weekend. Well, not just this weekend, but it’s definitely been on rotation lately. This Worcestershire based producer has the mellowed down, chill, (at times almost r&b like) vibes and lush vocals ON POINT.
The melodies and harmonies are delicious; so catchy and welcoming. astronomyy, combining electronic bass heavy beats with multiple instruments, is for sure going to snag your attention. Not to mention (that almost rhymed) his website, complete with a viewer controlled visualizer, is the cooooolest thing ever. When you hit “launch” (which you will), you’ll “launch” into an odyssey through space orchestrated by the breakthrough artist. All you have to do is swipe your mouse across the screen…DO IT!!
Hey everyone! Boy, this year has been insane for new music and discovering rad artists/bands. I love it. It’s one of my favourite things to do…hence why I even created this music blog – to be able to share with you some of my favourite bands, artists, songs and videos.
That being said, I wanted to do a special post today about some of the up and coming bands you should definitely be on the lookout for. Either they’re brand spankin’ new, just recorded a new album, have new material comin’ atcha, or they’re just a band I hadn’t discovered and want to mention in this list. So, here they are:
1. Vinyl Thief – This Nashville-based band is a fave at the moment. This electro-rock band started up round 2012 with their Rebel Hill EP. They were featured in Paste Magazine as “A Band You Should Listen to Now” – and gosh, Paste was no where near wrong with that statement. The band creates music that, to me, is so mesmerizingly catchy, you’re sure to be latched on in no time. One of my favourite songs from their new album “Fathoms” is “Smooth” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). I wish sometimes I was still back in Nashville to catch them playing live! (One can hope they’ll come to Charlotte soon enough though!) The band is – Grayson Proctor (vocals, synth), Logan Purdom (guitar), Sam English (keys), & Andrew Broadway (drums). | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and Youtube.
2. YØUTH – I’ve already raved enough about this talent-of-wonder, Julian Dente..so I won’t say too much more. My favourite track right now is “Breathing Easy” (<– Click to listen on SoundCloud). But seriously, expect nothing but sheer talent and amazing music to be created by this guy. I can’t wait for more songs to be released, new music videos, tour dates..the whole lot of it. BE ON THE LOOKOUT, for real. | Check out his Instagram,Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and YouTube.
3. Katie Deter – This young Birmingham, Alabama-native is definitely a unique talent. Her folky, somewhat bluegrass sounds and sweet, girly vocals lend a whimsical, relaxing and endearing quality to her music. She is simple, honest and gentle in her lyrics, with an innocence about her, and yet there’s a touch of sass to them as well. Just take a listen as she sings about love, growing up, and yes, the DMV – you’ll get what I’m talking about. I can’t seem to choose a fave, they’re all so awesome – so, here ya go…listen to the whole “Brooklyn Sessions”here. | Check out her Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
4. VÉRITÉ – I just recently discovered this phenomenal band from New York. At the moment they only have one single out called “Strange Enough” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud) and I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Just take a listen and you’ll see what I mean. So, all this being said…make sure you’re watching for their next move, cus if the music they’re creating is as half as good as this single…it’s gonna be epic. | Check out their Instagram, Twitter, and SoundCloud.
5. Keaton Henson – Oh boy, oh boy! I have so many wonderful things to say about this UK-based artist. Henson’s songs are beautifully written, with lyrics that will crush you or uplift you. Amazingly enough, within these songs – that are pretty much ‘sung to the floor’ – they manage to lift listeners up somewhere around the heavens and make you feel all the emotions. Whatever Henson put emotionally into his songs, you’re going to feel it. His thin, tremulous voice, accompanied by either his clean-toned electric or 12-string acoustic guitar (and maybe occasionally accompanied by a cellist) make for an almost discomfortingly naked emotion in his music – the best kind, though. His sound reminds me of a cross-breed between Manchester Orchestra, Bombay Bicycle Club (ballads) and Sleeping At Last – so what’s not to love?! My favourite tracks by him are “Strawbear“, “Charon“, “You” and “Sweetheart, What Have You Done To Us” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). (OH, and his music videos are the best!) | Check out Henson’s Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube, Tumblr and Vimeo.
“The goal of the Dream Walking Society is to embrace the age of digital communication and to collaborate, experiment, and explore making music with musicians all over the world. The theme of each of our projects corresponds with the up and coming book series by Igor + André. Each album will act as a soundtrack to each book.“
I personally think it is a brilliant idea. A fresh, new take on music. And, again, something to be aware of and on the lookout for new projects, ideas and collabs. Also, the guys are always looking to collaborate, so if you are a musician interested in being a part of their projects, or if you are a director wanting to direct a music video, you can contact Tim Frost at Tim@thedreamwalkingsociety.com. | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud, Youtube and Tumblr.
So, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading, listening and spending time with me today for this massive post! Make sure you check these bands and artists all out, and again…hawk eyes for these talented musicians. You don’t wanna skip a beat.
Back in April I did an interview with my buddy and Nashville native, Julian Dente of YØUTH. We chat a bit about his roots, influences, what inspires him, and more. I highly suggest you all read it and get to know Julian better, if you haven’t already! This kid is talented beyond measure. Every time he opens his mouth to sing, I’m in awe. His sound, his instrumental capabilities, vocals…all of it – pure, unfiltered talent.
So, typically, I don’t post on Thursdays – but, seeing as how I didn’t post anything yesterday and my good friends in LANY posted a couple of rad new tunes yesterday, I just HAD to share with you their infectious new songs.
I posted back in April, a short little article about the boys and shared with you some of their tunes around that time. But, here’s another recap for ya. LANY is comprised of Leslie Priest, Jake Goss and Paul Klein – a trio to be reckoned with. The smooth, 80’s dream-pop, almost r&b like sounds created by these three are so chill and effortless, you’ll be feelin’ the groove in no time.
I recently had the chance to do a fun little interview with Les Priest, (a close friend of mine now for almost seven years! CRAZY.) so, if you’re in the mood to get to know LANY a bit better – read on:
AMM: Soooo, wanna give me a bit of background on the band? How did you guys come to be?
Les: Jake and I were experimenting with WRLDS last year and then Paul thought it would be rad for the three of us to do something. So in March we created LANY.
AMM: Neat! Why did you want to make this kind of music particularly and what style or genre would you place yourselves under?
Les: I guess we’re landing somewhere between pop and r&b. and maybe sprinkle in some nostalgia. I don’t think we decided to make a certain sound exactly, but we’re definitely getting a feel for what LANY is or isn’t now.
AMM: Who does lead vocals? Is it you, cus I’m pretty convinced it is…
Les: I haven’t done vocals yet for this project. That’s all Paul. It’s interesting that you hear me.. most people that know my voice are saying the same thing. I guess we have similar timbres.
AMM: WHAT! It’s all Paul!? Holy moly. Yeah, you do! Okay, so, now that that is out of the way…..where do you see LANY in the future? Or, what do you wish to accomplish?
Les: Yep pretty crazy. We wanna do big things and make great music. I love creating with Jake and Paul. We’re ready for a lot of people to know LANY.
AMM: That’s awesome. Would you say that your styles are super similar, making it effortless to work with Jake and Paul? Or do you clash at times?
Les: Somewhere in between.. we all come from a slightly different direction musically and I think that’s why this is working well. It’s not always super easy but when it comes together it’s unique.
AMM: That’s really great. Unique is always the best, in my opinion. So, other than LANY’s Facebook, Soundcloud, Twitter…are there any other social media outlets or links you want to provide your fans with so they can share away?
Les: We have Instagram! It’s a little bare right now but once we’re all in LA I’m sure it’ll be more active.
AMM: Ooh! What’s the handle to your Instagram? And yes, I can’t wait for that!
When Sammie Sun asked me to guest post at first I was like “yes!”. Then I forgot about how I’m way behind on music trends and even further behind on all things blog savvy. But alas, here I am.
However uncool I may be about knowing the latest bands and the last festival I attended was Pitchfork ’09, I’d like to think I’m still pretty hip. Or Sammie probably wouldn’t even be my friend. Right? (Insert snort laugh.)
With that, I declare it Bonobo day! When my British husband introduced me I was immediately in love with the hypnotic layers of his work. Simon Green is brilliant and sets the bar for his genre of music.
I’m a Black Sands girl but in the summer you’ll find Ketto on repeat in my car at any time of the day. I was so excited to hear that they will be releasing a new vinyl “Ten Tigers” in the UK on July 1st.
Anyways, this post is just perfect to do my nerdy fan shout out in! I’m sucker for heavy bass remixes and you’ve got to check out the re-dub of “First Fire’s” on spotify. All I have to say is yum.