Shadow: I did a soft winged eyeliner, (mix of black liquid liner and brown pencil smudged out a bit, on the bottom lash line as well) with a couple of different brown/neutral shimmery eyeshadows on the lids. I tight-lined with a black eye pencil, and lined the waterline with the same brown pencil used on upper and lower lash line.
In the tear ducts and below the waterline along the brown pencil, I put a Japanese gel – intensely silvery/glittery – liner. I can’t remember the brand. I also put a bit of The Balm Mary Lou Manizer in the tear ducts to brighten it even more.
Cheeks: Lightly contoured with MacHarmony (in their blushes). On apples of cheeks, I applied Mac’s Modern Mandarin to create a rosy, flush cheek.
Highlight: The BalmMary Lou Manizer on bridge and ball of nose, cheekbones, lightly on the temples and cupids bow (above the lip line). I also applied some of the highlighter to the highest point of her eyelid to bounce off light and glow even more.
So, this isn’t music related – sue me – but I just HAD to post these awesome photos taken by the talented Brooke Smith! It was a fun freestyle shoot that I had the opportunity to do makeup on! Lizzy Rivera did hair, cus she’s a hair wizard. The beautiful Coryn modeled, and well, it was a blast! Such a great team of women. Here, let the photos speak for themselves!
Hey everyone! Boy, this year has been insane for new music and discovering rad artists/bands. I love it. It’s one of my favourite things to do…hence why I even created this music blog – to be able to share with you some of my favourite bands, artists, songs and videos.
That being said, I wanted to do a special post today about some of the up and coming bands you should definitely be on the lookout for. Either they’re brand spankin’ new, just recorded a new album, have new material comin’ atcha, or they’re just a band I hadn’t discovered and want to mention in this list. So, here they are:
1. Vinyl Thief – This Nashville-based band is a fave at the moment. This electro-rock band started up round 2012 with their Rebel Hill EP. They were featured in Paste Magazine as “A Band You Should Listen to Now” – and gosh, Paste was no where near wrong with that statement. The band creates music that, to me, is so mesmerizingly catchy, you’re sure to be latched on in no time. One of my favourite songs from their new album “Fathoms” is “Smooth” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). I wish sometimes I was still back in Nashville to catch them playing live! (One can hope they’ll come to Charlotte soon enough though!) The band is – Grayson Proctor (vocals, synth), Logan Purdom (guitar), Sam English (keys), & Andrew Broadway (drums). | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and Youtube.
2. YØUTH – I’ve already raved enough about this talent-of-wonder, Julian Dente..so I won’t say too much more. My favourite track right now is “Breathing Easy” (<– Click to listen on SoundCloud). But seriously, expect nothing but sheer talent and amazing music to be created by this guy. I can’t wait for more songs to be released, new music videos, tour dates..the whole lot of it. BE ON THE LOOKOUT, for real. | Check out his Instagram,Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and YouTube.
3. Katie Deter – This young Birmingham, Alabama-native is definitely a unique talent. Her folky, somewhat bluegrass sounds and sweet, girly vocals lend a whimsical, relaxing and endearing quality to her music. She is simple, honest and gentle in her lyrics, with an innocence about her, and yet there’s a touch of sass to them as well. Just take a listen as she sings about love, growing up, and yes, the DMV – you’ll get what I’m talking about. I can’t seem to choose a fave, they’re all so awesome – so, here ya go…listen to the whole “Brooklyn Sessions”here. | Check out her Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
4. VÉRITÉ – I just recently discovered this phenomenal band from New York. At the moment they only have one single out called “Strange Enough” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud) and I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Just take a listen and you’ll see what I mean. So, all this being said…make sure you’re watching for their next move, cus if the music they’re creating is as half as good as this single…it’s gonna be epic. | Check out their Instagram, Twitter, and SoundCloud.
5. Keaton Henson – Oh boy, oh boy! I have so many wonderful things to say about this UK-based artist. Henson’s songs are beautifully written, with lyrics that will crush you or uplift you. Amazingly enough, within these songs – that are pretty much ‘sung to the floor’ – they manage to lift listeners up somewhere around the heavens and make you feel all the emotions. Whatever Henson put emotionally into his songs, you’re going to feel it. His thin, tremulous voice, accompanied by either his clean-toned electric or 12-string acoustic guitar (and maybe occasionally accompanied by a cellist) make for an almost discomfortingly naked emotion in his music – the best kind, though. His sound reminds me of a cross-breed between Manchester Orchestra, Bombay Bicycle Club (ballads) and Sleeping At Last – so what’s not to love?! My favourite tracks by him are “Strawbear“, “Charon“, “You” and “Sweetheart, What Have You Done To Us” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). (OH, and his music videos are the best!) | Check out Henson’s Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube, Tumblr and Vimeo.
“The goal of the Dream Walking Society is to embrace the age of digital communication and to collaborate, experiment, and explore making music with musicians all over the world. The theme of each of our projects corresponds with the up and coming book series by Igor + André. Each album will act as a soundtrack to each book.“
I personally think it is a brilliant idea. A fresh, new take on music. And, again, something to be aware of and on the lookout for new projects, ideas and collabs. Also, the guys are always looking to collaborate, so if you are a musician interested in being a part of their projects, or if you are a director wanting to direct a music video, you can contact Tim Frost at Tim@thedreamwalkingsociety.com. | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud, Youtube and Tumblr.
So, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading, listening and spending time with me today for this massive post! Make sure you check these bands and artists all out, and again…hawk eyes for these talented musicians. You don’t wanna skip a beat.
So…today is a special day cus it’s my good pal, and Canadian sista Jenna Lane’s birthday! I’ve known this beauty for almost 5 years now – crazy! Sadly, I am not in Nashville to celebrate with her today but hey, I can do something special on here right?
Therefore, in honour of this wonderful day, I decided to put together a fun little birthday playlist for her (oh, and some old pics of us above)! CHECK IT OUT! :)
Happy Monday and Happy (Belated) Mother’s Day! Hope you mum’s all had a wonderful Sunday with your families and loved ones!
This week’s playlist is definitely more on the eclectic side. Folk, a random bit of electronica…I hope you like it! I sure dig it. Have a wonderful Monday! And, if you feel so inclined and would like to listen to more of my playlists, click HERE. :)
1/2 cup Milk (But I used a little over 1/2 a cup, and Coconut Milk)
1 tsp Vanilla
Cream together butter and agave until smooth. Add in eggs, one at a time, and beat until fully blended in. Add coconut milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine flours, salt and baking powder. Beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat until creamy. Spread into a greased 9×13-inch cake pan and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream. I made a coconut whipped cream that you can find HERE!
Happy Wednesday! This isn’t a new artist, or new song…or a pretty video (not really a video to watch actually) but it’s one of my favourite Josh Garrel songs and I’ve had it stuck in my head now for quite awhile. So, if you’re keen, please go ahead and accompany me while I indulge in some soulful, vibey, neo-folk sounds. You cool with that? Good. I know I am! ;)
So, without further adieu, here is the beautiful “Season Of Rain” from Josh Garrels 2008 album (one of my faves) “Jacaranda“:
Hope you had a great weekend, whether you celebrated Easter with your family and loved ones, or just relaxed and ate tasty treats..I’m sure it ruled. Today’s Playlist is inspired and brought to you by my close gal-pal Jessie and her cookie company “Cookie Cult“. Jessie is one of my closest friends here in Charlotte, she’s sweet, funny and talented beyond words..plus we both share the same insane love for music. In fact, she hosts a radio show once in a blue moon called Sound Blanket and ROCKS it.
Jessie bein’ a babe, bakin’ some of her famous chocolate-chip cookies.
Anyways, back to the cookies…check out Cookie Cult’s mission statement:
“The Cookie Cult is allegedly conspiring to control world affairs by masterminding a simple cookie and planting delicious agents of confectionery into government and massive corporations to establish a new world order and gain further political power and influence.
Kidding. It’s just a delicious cookie. No big deal.”
But really. GET SOME COOKIES. They’re amazing. I promise you won’t be let down. Also, because Jessie and her cookies rule, and she’s mah girl….here’s today’s Cookie Cult Playlist – all songs picked out by the Cookie Cult CEO herself. Enjoy! And don’t forget to follow The Cookie Cult on Instagram: @thecookiecult, Twitter: @thecookiecult and Like them on Facebook! :)