I’m about to introduce to you, or if you’ve already heard of this company – re-introduce – a wonderful, all-natural, eco-friendly laundry care and home cleaning company that may just change your mind about the way you do your laundry and home cleaning! Their name: The Laundress. Their mission: to empower style seekers with the importance of washing at home versus dry cleaning as much as possible.
As basic (ha) and simple asS.W. Basics is – these amazing products are anything but boring or just “the norm”. S.W. is driving it home with their few ingredients and all natural, organic, minimal mantra.
“Simplicity is the essence of awesome“
Who could argue with that? Sometimes all you want is a skincare/body care line that is simple and clean! S.W. Basics brings that to the table, without a doubt. Here are a few products I dig, what they do and more!
Hibiscus Mask: S.W. calls this their “Slumber party essential”. I think it’s one, because it’s a mask and that’s a staple for a classic girl slumber party. Two, it is a bright burgundy colour…so, that’s girly! (Right?)
Besides all the girly nonsense, this mask does work! With a complexion-smoothing blend of organic hibiscus, French green clay, and organic lavender – it is sure to have your skin singin’ the “ooh’s” and “ahh’s”!
Body Scrub: “Dessert for your skin”, and maybe even for your mouth? But really, check out these ingredients! Mixed coarse organic demerara sugar and organic shredded coconut (for exfoliation) with some moisturizing organic coconut oil. That is DEFINITELY edible (I won’t lie, I tried some and dang…it’s TASTY), but I’m not saying you should eat it all and not salvage it for your body – because lemme tell you something, this scrub is so good that even theHuffington Post said it’d get you a boyfriend! That’s quite the statement!
Last but certainly not least, we have…
Exfoliant: This is pretty self-explanatory – well, all of these S.W. products are. But this one, well, as a (past) exfoliant despiser, this one RULES. No micro-bead or harsh, jagged exfoliants in this lil guy! S.W. says it’s “kitchen-cabinet awesomeness”, and I completely agree. This newly USDA-Certified Organic concoction is made up of organic oat and almond flours that are not too rough but not too soft, mineral-rich sea salt, and tah-dah: a simple, nourishing, super-effective exfoliant that leaves your skin baby-butt soft and even glowing! GLOWING. I love a good glow!
All-in-all, I’m super impressed with S.W. Basics successful attempt to create products that cater to a simple, clean and natural lifestyle. Nourishing and caring for your skin, whether you’re sensitive, oily, dry or whatever..these products are great at loving your body well! <3
When I first discovered Meow Meow Tweet, the first thing I thought was “HOW FREAKING AWESOME IS THIS COMPANY’S NAME!?!” but for real, though. Brilliant! Especially for a company that concocts all organic, vegan products with pure, natural and organic ingredients. Meow, meow indeed. I like a lot!
With more buzz than a bee, Meow Meow has been getting around with the press! Featured in popular magazines, renowned blogs, websites and more! So, I thought to myself, they MUST be doing something right.
Browsing their website was like eye-candy in itself! Bright, cheerful and colourful vibes all over the place! Suuuuper cute, simple, yet totally cool packaging. I couldn’t get enough! So, here I am..to tell YOU a few products I’m loving right now!
This little Mini-Travel Migrator Kit that you see above has been a Godsend! I was out of town last weekend and it made the trip with me. Lightweight, It’s perfect for traveling, for sticking in your purse (especially the deodorant and body oil) and they’re all the perfect little size!
I love all of the products, but some of my favourites would have to be the Face Toner, Body Oil and Deodorant Cream. Here’s a little rundown of what my faves do, and some of the ingredients in them:
This toner is great for a daily toning of the face for all skin types. Especially those with combination and blemish prone skin. This awesome toner can also be used as a makeup setter spray, aftershave (spray on to avoid ingrown hairs) and a scalp spray for dandruff. Gotta love a product that does more than just one thing!
Its ingredients are: hammamelis virginiana (wild harvested witch hazel) distillate, aqua (water), *rosa damascena (rose) hydrosol, *vegetable glycerin, *acetic acid (apple cider vinegar), *lavendula angustofolia (lavender), *pelargonium graveolens (geranium), *cymbopogon martini (palmarosa), *helichrysum italicum (immortelle) essential oils. (All the ingredients starred are certified organic)
This fresh and woody juniper berry scented oil combines with crisp peppermint and herbal rosemary to calm, tone and treat dry or weathered skin. I had no idea, but apparently it can also be used as a scalp treatment to promote hair growth and help with dandruff. Again, Meow Meow is killin’ it with the multiple/different ways of using their products! Getting more bang for your buck!
Okay. Deodorant. A tricky area for me…not only because my pits need to have a serious detox (read more on what that entails) but because I reaaaally love a great smelling armpit. That always proved a bit difficult for me when it came to natural, organic deodorants. But not anymore! This baking soda free deodorant cream made the switch to natural deodorant A LOT easier. If you have ever struggled with underarm sensitivity from baking soda, then this is definitely for you! Meow Meow has taken their well-loved classic deodorant cream and made a few modifications to create this new formula, perfect for those with sensitive skin and just as effective. It’s designed without baking soda and clay – what can cause sensitivities on some – this recipe uses dietary magnesium and arrowroot powder to help control moisture and odor. Interesting, right? Nourishing plant oils and butters soothe and condition the skin, and a really lovely blend of citrusy essential oils keeps you smelling so fresh and so clean-clean throughout the day! Two thumbs up!
Now, onto another important smelly (the good kind) topic! Natural perfumes. Oh boy..this can also be a doozy. Essential oils are essential (hehe) in this arena, as well as plant extracts and absolutes (they’re similar to essential oils).
Stilllifeis Meow Meow Tweet‘s line of natural perfumes. Pictured below is the Perfume Sample Set, in which there are 1/2 ml samples of the full line. Certified organic, and certified nose-pleasing! Here is the rundown of what they offer for scents:
Dreamtiger: Sweet, Fruity & Floral with a Woody Undertone with notes of Blood Orange, Ylang Ylang & Vetiver
Wild Heart:Floral, Brassy, & Fresh with notes of Rose, Geranium, Jasmine & Wood
Macondo: Grassy & Bold with a Tinge of Sweetness with notes of Wild Sage, Bergamot, Balsam & Fir
Green Cockatoo: Warm, Sweet and a Little Smokey with notes of Tobacco, Jasmine & Vanilla
Argonaut: Crisp, Bright & Herbaceously Floral with notes of Violet, Clary Sage & Patchouli
My two favourite scents would have to be Macondo and Green Cockatoo! It’s pretty conclusive of my personality and what I lean towards in the scent department. Candle-wise too!
And, because you just MUST…check out Meow Meow Tweet‘s social media handles below:
GUYS! HAPPY NEW YEAR! Holy whirlwind of life….I have been non-stop. Not to mention, January 1st was A Musical Mind‘s ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!? Wow. Amazing. I can’t begin to thank everyone for tuning in, staying super dedicated with following me and my crazy musical journey. Discovering new bands, music, shows, and more.. It means the world, and I am so grateful for you all! I definitely am guilty of not posting a whole bunch anymore, and having all the reasons why…but ya know, whatever. It happens – and hey, I’m here now! ;)
So, let’s get right into today’s playlist! I’ve been recently obsessed with this Seattle/NY based band: M∆DE IN HEIGHTS! Their dreamy, euphoric r&b-pop is melodic, enchanting and just plain mesmerizing. I can’t seem to get enough.
Some songs, you can listen to passively and completely forget about them…there are some that resonate with you, but only for a couple of minutes or so, after which they seem to disappear into the atmosphere. Then, there are songs that resonate through your whole body and when they end you dissolve with it. M∆DE IN HEIGHTS does exactly this to me, and hopefully to you too.
These tracks hit you. They captivate you. In the perfect moment, with the perfect emotion tagging along. This track, “Skylark Interabang?!, is one of those tracks.
Hey everyone! Boy, this year has been insane for new music and discovering rad artists/bands. I love it. It’s one of my favourite things to do…hence why I even created this music blog – to be able to share with you some of my favourite bands, artists, songs and videos.
That being said, I wanted to do a special post today about some of the up and coming bands you should definitely be on the lookout for. Either they’re brand spankin’ new, just recorded a new album, have new material comin’ atcha, or they’re just a band I hadn’t discovered and want to mention in this list. So, here they are:
1. Vinyl Thief – This Nashville-based band is a fave at the moment. This electro-rock band started up round 2012 with their Rebel Hill EP. They were featured in Paste Magazine as “A Band You Should Listen to Now” – and gosh, Paste was no where near wrong with that statement. The band creates music that, to me, is so mesmerizingly catchy, you’re sure to be latched on in no time. One of my favourite songs from their new album “Fathoms” is “Smooth” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). I wish sometimes I was still back in Nashville to catch them playing live! (One can hope they’ll come to Charlotte soon enough though!) The band is – Grayson Proctor (vocals, synth), Logan Purdom (guitar), Sam English (keys), & Andrew Broadway (drums). | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and Youtube.
2. YØUTH – I’ve already raved enough about this talent-of-wonder, Julian Dente..so I won’t say too much more. My favourite track right now is “Breathing Easy” (<– Click to listen on SoundCloud). But seriously, expect nothing but sheer talent and amazing music to be created by this guy. I can’t wait for more songs to be released, new music videos, tour dates..the whole lot of it. BE ON THE LOOKOUT, for real. | Check out his Instagram,Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and YouTube.
3. Katie Deter – This young Birmingham, Alabama-native is definitely a unique talent. Her folky, somewhat bluegrass sounds and sweet, girly vocals lend a whimsical, relaxing and endearing quality to her music. She is simple, honest and gentle in her lyrics, with an innocence about her, and yet there’s a touch of sass to them as well. Just take a listen as she sings about love, growing up, and yes, the DMV – you’ll get what I’m talking about. I can’t seem to choose a fave, they’re all so awesome – so, here ya go…listen to the whole “Brooklyn Sessions”here. | Check out her Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
4. VÉRITÉ – I just recently discovered this phenomenal band from New York. At the moment they only have one single out called “Strange Enough” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud) and I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Just take a listen and you’ll see what I mean. So, all this being said…make sure you’re watching for their next move, cus if the music they’re creating is as half as good as this single…it’s gonna be epic. | Check out their Instagram, Twitter, and SoundCloud.
5. Keaton Henson – Oh boy, oh boy! I have so many wonderful things to say about this UK-based artist. Henson’s songs are beautifully written, with lyrics that will crush you or uplift you. Amazingly enough, within these songs – that are pretty much ‘sung to the floor’ – they manage to lift listeners up somewhere around the heavens and make you feel all the emotions. Whatever Henson put emotionally into his songs, you’re going to feel it. His thin, tremulous voice, accompanied by either his clean-toned electric or 12-string acoustic guitar (and maybe occasionally accompanied by a cellist) make for an almost discomfortingly naked emotion in his music – the best kind, though. His sound reminds me of a cross-breed between Manchester Orchestra, Bombay Bicycle Club (ballads) and Sleeping At Last – so what’s not to love?! My favourite tracks by him are “Strawbear“, “Charon“, “You” and “Sweetheart, What Have You Done To Us” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). (OH, and his music videos are the best!) | Check out Henson’s Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube, Tumblr and Vimeo.
“The goal of the Dream Walking Society is to embrace the age of digital communication and to collaborate, experiment, and explore making music with musicians all over the world. The theme of each of our projects corresponds with the up and coming book series by Igor + André. Each album will act as a soundtrack to each book.“
I personally think it is a brilliant idea. A fresh, new take on music. And, again, something to be aware of and on the lookout for new projects, ideas and collabs. Also, the guys are always looking to collaborate, so if you are a musician interested in being a part of their projects, or if you are a director wanting to direct a music video, you can contact Tim Frost at Tim@thedreamwalkingsociety.com. | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud, Youtube and Tumblr.
So, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading, listening and spending time with me today for this massive post! Make sure you check these bands and artists all out, and again…hawk eyes for these talented musicians. You don’t wanna skip a beat.
You guys, I am beyond excited to share this AMAZING track that my friend Tim, also known as the talented DJ CUBBY put out yesterday!
It was debuted in the The Fader, and so far, I cannot get enough of it. I probably have listened to the song about 25 times since yesterday. I’m probably not even exaggerating. It’s THAT good. I’m pretty speechless, and so, in this case, my explanation of this song is probably going to be all over the place – I love it, it’s unreal, the beats…the lyrics, the soundddddd gahhhhh – hahaha. SO, Fader does the perfect job of explaining the flawless sounds you will be listening to:
“Even before Current’s falsetto hook drops on this first missive from NYC producer Cubby, it’s hard not to feel pretty smitten with the sound of the drums alone—the textural splay of the brush sounds, the just-a-little-too-slow snare. It’s a fittingly drowsy foundation for a song about the stupor-like state we can fall into over the course of a protracted winter like this one, split between the calm, dull pleasures of a time when life [is] slow, nights [are] boring and the feeling that you want to sleep in instead of going to work in the morning but you have to brave the slush and keep grinding because your rent’s past due. In fact, those are some of the literal scenarios described by the rapper Kwane, starting off all drawling and sluggish before eventually taking a dramatic left-turn into the suppressed anger that comes with a really bad case of cabin fever.”
I mean, c’mon…now you HAVE to listen to it! ;) So, without further adieu, here it is: