So, as you all know, I use electronics quite a bit. iPhone, laptop…I mean, it’s basically in my job description. Of course, there are benefits to this – fun, useful apps, emails, iCal…the occasional black holes I like to call Instagram and Facebook – and oh, don’t forget Pinterest! But, with all of the new gadgets thrown at us nowadays, there are (not surprisingly so) some serious complications that come with them.
Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure / Electro Magnetic Fields (or EMF’s)
Uh oh, radiation you say? I know this is a bit off-topic from my regular beauty posts and reviews. But it’s important. It’s something I’ve really been thinking about and doing a lot of research on lately. It is definitely manageable and even though it seems like this is yet another thing to add to the concerns list in this nutso world we live in – ignorance isn’t always bliss, and we can do our part to prevent exposure!
To be quite honest with you, I never really thought too much about radiation. Let alone a lot of it coming from phones or laptops (these are just two of the main gadgets I’m touching on today, but there are so many more!). Maybe it’s because ignorance was truly my bliss…plus, I figured that crazy phone radiation was old-fashioned. Like back in the day when people used to carry around computers for cell phones. Remember? The ones you’d have to have connected to a dang briefcase to use it!? (LOL) I honestly thought I was doing well just not owning a microwave, or owning a foam mattress instead of a spring one…which, by the way, is a great (small) start!
Then, I began to really start researching it. I’d love that say that it’s going to get better, but in fact, EMFs aren’t going anywhere! Wow, way to bring the silver lining – sorry, but let’s be real for a minute. Our world basically depends upon Electromagnetic Fields/Radiation…I mean, just think about it! We wouldn’t be a modern civilization if we didn’t have any power grids! BUT there is good news, and that is that there are ways to protect ourselves and our loved ones against these harmful effects. Here are a few really accessible and easy steps I’ve implemented and you can too!
• • • • •
Shut off wifi at night, or whenever you’re not using it.
I watched a super informative TEDx Talk Youtube video about EMF’s while back (Wireless Wake-Up Call) and the speaker, Jeromy Johnson (an experienced engineer in EMF pollution and solutions), goes on to discuss how there are people who are actually sensitive to EMF’s! Like, they can hear it and it affects their body and everyday life! INSANE right? Well anyways, I took away so much great information from that TEDx Talk. One of his many (simple) tips being to shut off your wifi at night, or when you’re not in need of it. Also, in addition to turning off all wireless devices in your home, remove and unplug all electrical devices from your bedroom. A battery-powered alarm clock is all you need (preferably not an iPhone, but if you really need it on, make sure it’s on “airplane” mode all night).
So why do all of this? This will cut off the flow of (dirty) electricity through your bedroom walls at night. Once my husband Davey and I tried this, that was it…we didn’t look back. Try it – you seriously may have one of your best sleeping nights yet!
Limit time spent on your devices
If you have a cellphone, use it rarely and wisely. Some important tips:
- Purchase a cell phone case that provides Cell Phone Radiation Protection. This is what I have used in the past (not currently, but I will explain why…plus, I do like to switch back and forth) and I love it! It blocks up to 99% of harmful EMF cell phone radiation and it looks cute while doing it!
Don’t worry, it protects your cell phone well too (TRUST me, I’ve dropped it many a time and this case is amazing at protecting the phone!) This handcrafted case uses state-of-the-art radiation-shielding technology while offering a soft microfiber interior and elegant faux leather exterior resistive to scratching, staining, and accidental drop. Plusssss they have ones with a wallet feature, so you can even store your cards in it. Love a multitasker, right?!
- If you don’t want a special case that blocks EMFs, (as I currently am using a compostable Pela case, then make sure to use your speakerphone or air tube headphones when taking phone calls. AND you can use an awesome Lifetune (EMR mitigating) sticker by Aires Tech! It can be used ON your cell phone case (even a Defender Shield Case), laptop, desktop computer, tv, etc! YES, IT WORKS! Check out all their technology and peer-reviewed studies/scientific reviews HERE.
- Shop Defender Shield products (cases, blankets, headphones and more)
Here are some specs on it:
- Keep your phone on “airplane mode” most of the time. (Unless you have the special case mentioned above) That way it isn’t radiating on specific parts of your body when in your pocket. Women (and men!) – “Smart” phones radiate every few seconds and lessen the chance of our being able to produce offspring. I know…tell me about it.
- Save high-data activities (videos, music, internet browsing, and email) for a wired computer at home. (Yikes, this is something I tend to have trouble maintaining…but I’m working on it!) This will greatly reduce the radiation you are exposed to. This also means the little girl living next to the cell phone tower down the road may receive a little less radiation.
- Try to not use a cell phone in your car (again…hello real life, this is HARD). The reason though, why you’d not want to use it in the car is that the radiation is magnified as the phone searches for the next mast and is reflected by the metal that makes up the vehicle. Plus, not using your cell phone in the car keeps you safer too! But if anything, just turn off your Bluetooth in your car!
Some other options that I LOVE and work really well for EMF/EMR mitigating:
- In addition to the sticker and a protecting case, one of my favourite EMF/EMR harmonizers is the Q-Link Necklace! I have a whole story highlight on this, under Q-Link (scroll through the highlights and you should find it!)
- EMF ROCKS Grounding Bags! These are grounding bags that repels EMF and they ground and recharge you! In the bag itself — which you don’t open up btw! — are Magnetic Tesla Crystals! Negative ionic charge is what we want to bring back! Think of a salt lamp purifying the air with negative ions and also reducing some EMF too (which is positive ions — not a good thing lol), this is like that but even better! In fact, if you’re at all familiar with shungite, these crystals are 10x more powerful than that! 🙌 I’m a BIG fan and have noticed such a difference in my sleep and overall well-being. HULLOSAM saves you 10%!
- Get a salt lamp or 2-3 lol! These are natural negative ionizers – negative ions are good! Plus they give off nice warm, red light and look pretty! I use this brand of salt lamps!
Do not keep your devices close to your body
I love Defender Shield for this purpose! As I discussed above, they have some great options for iPhone cases that 100% block all EMF’s and they carry a Laptop Shield too (seen at the top, in the first photo) that shields us from the several different types of radiation emitted from laptops. (Shop all of their products and use my code HULLOSAM for 10% off!)
DefenderShield also explains it really well on their site stating,
DefenderShield® solutions, including the DefenderPad® use conductive, non-conductive and highly advanced absorption shielding materials that interwork in unison to block, divert, and absorb potentially dangerous EMFs of Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) radiation, Radio Frequency (RF) and heat radiation.
Never put an operating cell phone next to your head or reproductive organs. (Again this goes for the ones that don’t have the Defender Shield Cell Phone Protector Case) If you’re not sure about the logistics of this – how far it needs to be from your body, explaining, etc and you’d also like to train your friends and family to use a cell phone wisely, check out this awesome app and download it to your phone!
• • • • •
I know it can seem like a lot at first, but the more you do to educate yourselves on this topic, the more you can do to prevent yourself from being exposed!
I highly suggest checking out these other great resources for preventing EMF exposure:
- LessEMF.com – basically THE EMF Safety Shop. It’s an online warehouse for Gaussmeters, EMF Meters, and Electromagnetic Field Shielding. Allowing you to work, sleep and live better in our electrified world.
- emfanalysis.com – this site is chockfull of information on what you and your family can do to prevent EMF exposure, including research, solutions, and more!
- Also, if you’d like to know more and receive a comprehensive EMF safety and protection guide, including the science behind it all – check out the book Radiation Nation by Daniel T. DeBaun and Ryan P. DeBaun. (co-founders of Defender Shield!)
• • • • •
GIVEAWAY PORTION! (CLOSED)
*Giveaway is now CLOSED* So you’re probably here because you want to win this awesome Defender Shield gift certificate worth $110! Head over to my Instagram post to learn how to enter. This is the last step to entering the giveaway. To complete your entry, leave a comment below on why you’d like to win a Defender Shield gift certificate. A winner will be chosen Sunday, June 4th, 5 pm EST at random and announced in the Instagram post. Good luck! (Open internationally)
How often are you on a computer or your phone? What steps will you take to protect yourself? Comment below! I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic!
This post is in collaboration with Defender Shield and contains some affiliate links. As always, all thoughts expressed are honest and unique to my personal experience.
Erika Summers says
I really want the cell phone defender case. I put my cell in the bathroom at night but want the case for when I’m holding it and such!
Brie Bradshaw says
I am on my phone + wifi ALOT! My hubs + I JUST found out we are expecting, so I would love to do everything I can to protect the growing babe from harmful EMFs! We are unplugging our wifi + turning our phones off!
Wow! So much useful information here! Thank you for sharing! I would love to win because my kiddos are around my phone and I would love to better protect them! Insta: mama.loving.life
I would like to win because I have recently been learning about EMFs but haven’t taken action on protect myself with my devices yet!! I would especially like to buy the laptop shield
Colletta Lois says
Excellent info. As usual!
I would love to win this gift card since my nephew loves to use phones. I’d probably give my sister the gift card since my nephew “uses” her phone more.
Oh man, I’ve been cringing every time I notice my husbands cell phone in his pocket (which is almost all of the time as he has to keep his phone on him for work!). I’ve really vamped up our non-toxic lifestyle since we had our son (who just turned two) and now have another little one on the way! We need several things from Defender Shield!
Love this post – very informative! As a nursing student, I would love to have these Defender Shield products and gift certificate because I’m on my computer alllll the time at school (but I try to limit it as much as possible). I already use speaker phone when making phone calls, but I didn’t know about turning on airplane mode at night! I will try to start doing that now. Thank you for the post and giveaway opportunity!! ?
Nida javeed says
I would love to win this because I am recently starting to learn about EMF and I am almost certainly sure that is the reason I have gotten a thyroid nodule :( I want to protect myself in the future and winning this would be amazing for my health since I use electronics a ton.
I want this case. Need this case. I always have to remind myself to do these things. Habits are hard to break. Thanks for the giveaway. ?
My hubs is a non-believer in all this, but I desperately want to get these guards to cancel at least some of what he has wired around us. Seriously! He’s now talking about putting our house on a system that he can check if lights are on, or the garage opened, etc., on his cell phone at all hours ??♀️
Elizabeth Grossman says
I’d love to win so I can try out these cases and learn more about the research behind them!
So good! I researched this a tiny bit awhile ago and ever since then I always put my phone on airplane mode. I do need to take more steps to improve how we protect ourselves. So I probs need some of these products ?????
I’d love to win because I was just reading about radiation coming from electronics and wifi devices. I’m pregnant so I need to protect my baby ? @hirsch.photography
Katelyn Giffen says
EEEK Thanks for all the info Sam. I’ve been concerned about EMF’s but I haven’t known exactly what I should do about it but and I’ll definitely be turning wifi off at night. I’d love to win the Defendersheild giveaway to protect me and the babes.
Really fascinated by all of this information and just recently began learning about it. This is a great read, well done! I’d like to win a Defendershield product to protect myself as much as possible in a world where so much is harmful to you that is beyond your control. It’s companies like this that should be trending and getting attention! @nbpdxo
I love that it’s also opened internationally… all the best things are in America and here in switzerland nothing :(
Wow- super eye opening and the more i asses the amount of phone and computer time i’m clocking in – as i work solely off the two – im gonna be needing some denfender sheild goodies for certain.
We’re committed to a mostly non-toxic lifestyle but haven’t made any moves in this area! I’d love to invest in new cases and learn more so my husband and I can stay healthy!
I’ve always been conscious about EMFs (thanks mom!) but I have never seen a laptop shield like this, and these phone cases also look really nice! I would love both! I love learning new info about these things…thanks for the post!
We live across the country from family so facetiming is a necessity but I absolutely hate having the cell phone so close to my daughter! It’s scary to think her generation is the first to be around cell phones, etc from birth.
I would love to win this because I would feel less worried about using my laptop and my phine for too long.