astronomyy is where it’s at this weekend. Well, not just this weekend, but it’s definitely been on rotation lately. This Worcestershire based producer has the mellowed down, chill, (at times almost r&b like) vibes and lush vocals ON POINT.
The melodies and harmonies are delicious; so catchy and welcoming. astronomyy, combining electronic bass heavy beats with multiple instruments, is for sure going to snag your attention. Not to mention (that almost rhymed) his website, complete with a viewer controlled visualizer, is the cooooolest thing ever. When you hit “launch” (which you will), you’ll “launch” into an odyssey through space orchestrated by the breakthrough artist. All you have to do is swipe your mouse across the screen…DO IT!!
Hey everyone! Boy, this year has been insane for new music and discovering rad artists/bands. I love it. It’s one of my favourite things to do…hence why I even created this music blog – to be able to share with you some of my favourite bands, artists, songs and videos.
That being said, I wanted to do a special post today about some of the up and coming bands you should definitely be on the lookout for. Either they’re brand spankin’ new, just recorded a new album, have new material comin’ atcha, or they’re just a band I hadn’t discovered and want to mention in this list. So, here they are:
1. Vinyl Thief – This Nashville-based band is a fave at the moment. This electro-rock band started up round 2012 with their Rebel Hill EP. They were featured in Paste Magazine as “A Band You Should Listen to Now” – and gosh, Paste was no where near wrong with that statement. The band creates music that, to me, is so mesmerizingly catchy, you’re sure to be latched on in no time. One of my favourite songs from their new album “Fathoms” is “Smooth” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). I wish sometimes I was still back in Nashville to catch them playing live! (One can hope they’ll come to Charlotte soon enough though!) The band is – Grayson Proctor (vocals, synth), Logan Purdom (guitar), Sam English (keys), & Andrew Broadway (drums). | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and Youtube.
2. YØUTH – I’ve already raved enough about this talent-of-wonder, Julian Dente..so I won’t say too much more. My favourite track right now is “Breathing Easy” (<– Click to listen on SoundCloud). But seriously, expect nothing but sheer talent and amazing music to be created by this guy. I can’t wait for more songs to be released, new music videos, tour dates..the whole lot of it. BE ON THE LOOKOUT, for real. | Check out his Instagram,Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and YouTube.
3. Katie Deter – This young Birmingham, Alabama-native is definitely a unique talent. Her folky, somewhat bluegrass sounds and sweet, girly vocals lend a whimsical, relaxing and endearing quality to her music. She is simple, honest and gentle in her lyrics, with an innocence about her, and yet there’s a touch of sass to them as well. Just take a listen as she sings about love, growing up, and yes, the DMV – you’ll get what I’m talking about. I can’t seem to choose a fave, they’re all so awesome – so, here ya go…listen to the whole “Brooklyn Sessions”here. | Check out her Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
4. VÉRITÉ – I just recently discovered this phenomenal band from New York. At the moment they only have one single out called “Strange Enough” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud) and I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Just take a listen and you’ll see what I mean. So, all this being said…make sure you’re watching for their next move, cus if the music they’re creating is as half as good as this single…it’s gonna be epic. | Check out their Instagram, Twitter, and SoundCloud.
5. Keaton Henson – Oh boy, oh boy! I have so many wonderful things to say about this UK-based artist. Henson’s songs are beautifully written, with lyrics that will crush you or uplift you. Amazingly enough, within these songs – that are pretty much ‘sung to the floor’ – they manage to lift listeners up somewhere around the heavens and make you feel all the emotions. Whatever Henson put emotionally into his songs, you’re going to feel it. His thin, tremulous voice, accompanied by either his clean-toned electric or 12-string acoustic guitar (and maybe occasionally accompanied by a cellist) make for an almost discomfortingly naked emotion in his music – the best kind, though. His sound reminds me of a cross-breed between Manchester Orchestra, Bombay Bicycle Club (ballads) and Sleeping At Last – so what’s not to love?! My favourite tracks by him are “Strawbear“, “Charon“, “You” and “Sweetheart, What Have You Done To Us” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). (OH, and his music videos are the best!) | Check out Henson’s Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube, Tumblr and Vimeo.
“The goal of the Dream Walking Society is to embrace the age of digital communication and to collaborate, experiment, and explore making music with musicians all over the world. The theme of each of our projects corresponds with the up and coming book series by Igor + André. Each album will act as a soundtrack to each book.“
I personally think it is a brilliant idea. A fresh, new take on music. And, again, something to be aware of and on the lookout for new projects, ideas and collabs. Also, the guys are always looking to collaborate, so if you are a musician interested in being a part of their projects, or if you are a director wanting to direct a music video, you can contact Tim Frost at Tim@thedreamwalkingsociety.com. | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud, Youtube and Tumblr.
So, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading, listening and spending time with me today for this massive post! Make sure you check these bands and artists all out, and again…hawk eyes for these talented musicians. You don’t wanna skip a beat.
Back in April I did an interview with my buddy and Nashville native, Julian Dente of YØUTH. We chat a bit about his roots, influences, what inspires him, and more. I highly suggest you all read it and get to know Julian better, if you haven’t already! This kid is talented beyond measure. Every time he opens his mouth to sing, I’m in awe. His sound, his instrumental capabilities, vocals…all of it – pure, unfiltered talent.
Hello wonderful music-lovin’ people! This past week while I had downtime at the beach during Hurricane Arthur, I spent many hours looking up new music, bands, songs, videos, etc etc. Annnnnd well, I found a TON! I mean, like, a lot! So much so, I was almost overwhelmed. But, a good overwhelmed. I just love discovering new music – it does my heart some good.
So, get ready, cus some of these songs are my new faves. I especially love Mononoke. Check our the playlist, and as usual…share it with friends, but most of all, enjoy!! Xo
So, typically, I don’t post on Thursdays – but, seeing as how I didn’t post anything yesterday and my good friends in LANY posted a couple of rad new tunes yesterday, I just HAD to share with you their infectious new songs.
I posted back in April, a short little article about the boys and shared with you some of their tunes around that time. But, here’s another recap for ya. LANY is comprised of Leslie Priest, Jake Goss and Paul Klein – a trio to be reckoned with. The smooth, 80’s dream-pop, almost r&b like sounds created by these three are so chill and effortless, you’ll be feelin’ the groove in no time.
I recently had the chance to do a fun little interview with Les Priest, (a close friend of mine now for almost seven years! CRAZY.) so, if you’re in the mood to get to know LANY a bit better – read on:
AMM: Soooo, wanna give me a bit of background on the band? How did you guys come to be?
Les: Jake and I were experimenting with WRLDS last year and then Paul thought it would be rad for the three of us to do something. So in March we created LANY.
AMM: Neat! Why did you want to make this kind of music particularly and what style or genre would you place yourselves under?
Les: I guess we’re landing somewhere between pop and r&b. and maybe sprinkle in some nostalgia. I don’t think we decided to make a certain sound exactly, but we’re definitely getting a feel for what LANY is or isn’t now.
AMM: Who does lead vocals? Is it you, cus I’m pretty convinced it is…
Les: I haven’t done vocals yet for this project. That’s all Paul. It’s interesting that you hear me.. most people that know my voice are saying the same thing. I guess we have similar timbres.
AMM: WHAT! It’s all Paul!? Holy moly. Yeah, you do! Okay, so, now that that is out of the way…..where do you see LANY in the future? Or, what do you wish to accomplish?
Les: Yep pretty crazy. We wanna do big things and make great music. I love creating with Jake and Paul. We’re ready for a lot of people to know LANY.
AMM: That’s awesome. Would you say that your styles are super similar, making it effortless to work with Jake and Paul? Or do you clash at times?
Les: Somewhere in between.. we all come from a slightly different direction musically and I think that’s why this is working well. It’s not always super easy but when it comes together it’s unique.
AMM: That’s really great. Unique is always the best, in my opinion. So, other than LANY’s Facebook, Soundcloud, Twitter…are there any other social media outlets or links you want to provide your fans with so they can share away?
Les: We have Instagram! It’s a little bare right now but once we’re all in LA I’m sure it’ll be more active.
AMM: Ooh! What’s the handle to your Instagram? And yes, I can’t wait for that!