So, as you all know, I use electronics quite a bit. iPhone, laptop…I mean, it’s basically in my job description. Of course there are benefits to this – fun, useful apps, emails, iCal…the occasional black holes I like to call Instagram and Facebook – and oh, don’t forget Pinterest! But, with all of the new gadgets thrown at us nowadays, there’s (not surprisingly so) some serious complications that come with them.
Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure / Electro Magnetic Fields (or EMF’s)
Uh oh, radiation you say? I know, this is a bit off topic from my regular beauty posts and reviews. But it’s important. It’s something I’ve really been thinking about and doing a lot of research on lately. It is definitely manageable and even though it seems like this is yet another thing to add to the concerns list in this nutso world we live in – ignorance isn’t always bliss, and we can do our part to prevent exposure!
To be quite honest with you, I never really thought too much about radiation. Let alone a lot of it coming from phones or laptops (these are just two of the main gadgets I’m touching on today, but there are so many more!). Maybe it’s because ignorance was truly my bliss…plus, I figured that crazy phone radiation was old fashioned. Like back in the day when people used to carry around computers for cell phones. Remember? The ones you’d have to have connected to a dang briefcase to use it!? (LOL) I honestly thought I was doing well just not owning a microwave, or owning a foam mattress instead of a spring one…which, by the way, is a great (small) start!
Then, I began to really started researching it. I’d love that say that it’s going to get better, but in fact, EMFs aren’t going anywhere! Wow, way to bring the silver lining – sorry, but let’s be real for a minute. Our world basically depends upon Electromagnetic Fields…I mean, just think about it! We wouldn’t be a modern civilization if we didn’t have any power grids…! BUT there is good news, and that is that there are ways to protect ourselves and our loved ones against these harmful effects. Here are a few really accessible and easy steps I’ve implemented and you can too!
• • • • •
Shut off wifi at night, or whenever you’re not using it.
I watched a super informative TEDx Talk Youtube video about EMF’s awhile back (Wireless Wake-Up Call) and the speaker, Jeromy Johnson (an experienced engineer in EMF pollution and solutions), goes on to discuss how there are people who are actually sensitive to EMF’s! Like, they can hear it and it affects their body and everyday life! INSANE right? Well anyways, I took away so much great information from that TEDx Talk. One of his many (simple) tips being to shut off your wifi at night, or when you’re not in need of it. Also, in addition to turning off all wireless devices in your home, remove and unplug all electrical devices from your bedroom. A battery-powered alarm clock is all you need (preferably not an iPhone, but if you really need it on, make sure it’s on “airplane” mode all night).
So why do all of this? This will cut off the flow of (dirty) electricity through your bedroom walls at night. Once my husband Davey and I tried this, that was it…we didn’t look back. Try it – you seriously may have one of your best sleeps yet!
Limit time spent on your devices
If you have a cellphone, use it rarely and wisely. Some important tips:
- Purchase a cell phone case that provides Cell Phone Radiation Protection. This is what I have (in pink, duh!) and I love it! It blocks virtually 100% of harmful EMF cell phone radiation and it looks cute while doing it! Don’t worry, it protects your cell phone well too! This handcrafted case uses state-of-the-art radiation-shielding technology while offering a soft microfiber interior and elegant faux leather exterior resistive to scratching, staining and the accidental drop. Plusssss they have ones with a wallet feature, so you can even store your cards in it. Love a multitasker! (HELLO!)
- If you don’t want a special case that blocks EMF’s, then make sure to use your speaker phone or airtube headphones when taking phone calls.
- Keep your phone on “airplane mode” most of the time. (Unless you have the special case mentioned above) That way it isn’t radiating on specific parts of your body when in your pocket. Women (and men!) – “Smart” phones radiate every few seconds and lessen the chance of our being able to produce offspring. I know…tell me about it.
- Save high-data activities (videos, music, internet browsing and email) for a wired computer at home. (Yikes, this is something I tend to have trouble maintaining…but I’m working on it!) This will greatly reduce the radiation you are exposed to. This also means the little girl living next to the cell phone tower down the road may receive a little less radiation.
- Never use a cell phone in your car. The radiation is magnified as the phone searches for the next mast and is reflected by the metal that makes up the vehicle. No thank you! Plus, not using your cell phone in the car keeps you safer too!
Do not keep your devices close to your body
I love Defender Shield for this purpose! Like I discussed above, they have some great options for iPhone cases that 100% block all EMF’s and they carry a Laptop Shield too (seen at the top, in the first photo) that shields us from the several different types of radiation emitted from laptops. (Shop all of their products)
DefenderShield also explains it really well on their site stating,
DefenderShield® solutions, including the DefenderPad® use conductive, non-conductive and highly advanced absorption shielding materials that interwork in unison to block, divert, and absorb potentially dangerous EMFs of Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) radiation, Radio Frequency (RF) and heat radiation.
Never put an operating cell phone next to your head or reproductive organs. (Again this goes for the ones that don’t have the Defender Shield Cell Phone Protector Case) If you’re not sure about the logistics of this – how far it needs to be from your body, explaining, etc and you’d also like to train your friends and family to use a cell phone wisely, check out this awesome app and download it to your phone!
• • • • •
I know it can seem like a lot at first, but the more you do to educate yourselves on this topic, the more we can do to prevent ourselves from being exposed!
I highly suggest checking out these other great resources for preventing EMF exposure:
- LessEMF.com – basically THE EMF Safety Shop. It’s an online warehouse for Gaussmeters, EMF Meters and Electromagnetic Field Shielding. Allowing you to work, sleep and live better in our electrified world.
- emfanalysis.com – this site is chockfull of information on what you and your family can do to prevent EMF exposure, including research, solutions and more!
- Also, if you’d like to know more and receive a comprehensive EMF safety and protection guide, including the science behind it all – check out the book Radiation Nation by Daniel T. DeBaun and Ryan P. DeBaun. (co-founders of Defender Shield!)
• • • • •
GIVEAWAY PORTION! (CLOSED)
*Giveaway is now CLOSED* So you’re probably here because you want to win this awesome Defender Shield gift certificate worth $110! Head over to my Instagram post to learn how to enter. This is the last step to entering the giveaway. To complete your entry, leave a comment below on why you’d like to win a Defender Shield gift certificate. A winner will be chosen Sunday, June 4th, 5pm EST at random and announced in the Instagram post. Good luck! (Open internationally)
How often are you on a computer or your phone? What steps will you take to protect yourself? Comment below! I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic!
This post is in collaboration with Defender Shield and contains some affiliate links. As always, all thoughts expressed are honest and unique to my personal experience.