If you’re in the market for a really awesome cruelty-free, gluten-free, and toxic-free neutral palette with a pop of colour (a sizzling gold/yellow shade) – this Zuzu Luxe “Peep Show” Palette by Gabriel Cosmetics is totally for you! It’s been a go-to for me lately, as I love the deeper bronzy/chocolate colours! I love a great summery palette and this one definitely achieves that sun-kissed, summer-look!
I really enjoy mixing and matching the super blendable shadows. I apply it with a dry brush for soft day time eye look, or I use a damp brush for a more bold, intense look. It’s however you wish to do it – I personally like to mix the two techniques! The whole palette contains natural ingredients including Titanium Dioxide which functions as a natural sun block. So, you’re not only making your eyes stand out, but you’re protecting them too in the process. Win/win!
Peep Show Shadow Colors
Amber – Sizzling Gold
Toasted – Warm Brown/shimmer
Velvet – Deep Brown/shimmer
Nude – Neutral Ivory
Peep Show Powder Color
Translucent – sheer setting powder that leaves skin with a flawless finish (this stuff does some serious mattefying of the skin too, if you have any shine!)
Peep Show Blush Color
Bitten – neutral red for perfectly flushed cheeks (almost as if someone pinched you – in a good way!)
Zuzu Luxe “Peep Show” palette: Nude all over the lid and inner corner of eyes. Amber on the center of the lid and added more depth/saturation with damp brush.
All in all, I highly recommend picking up one of these palettes, whether it be Peep Show, or one of their other palettes – Gabriel Cosmetics will not steer you the wrong way with their high quality, beautifully blendable and pigmented eye colours, blush and powder.
I am currently LOVING this new artist, Amber Bain. She goes by The Japanese House and this 19-year-old London-based singer is blowing me out of the water with her atmospheric 80’s-esque synths and warm, dream-pop sounds. They totally wash over you and make you feel like you’re standing in the middle of an ocean as waves crash in around you. Or, at least to me it does…check it out! ;)
Guys, if you’ve ever been in love, ever been heartbroken by a breakup or just bummed over something relationship related – you’ll get this video. It’s beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. No, I’m not emo, I just love the way this UK-based artist portrays it all. ;)
So, enjoy it – Låpsley – Painter (Valentine) Official Video:
P.s. Don’t forget tomorrow is a special day cus Sound Blanket is featuring me on their online radio 7:30PM slot! I get to play all my favourite tunes and talk about ’em! You don’t wanna miss out. You can find more info here, follow them on Twitter here, and Like their Facebook Page here!
Hey everyone! Boy, this year has been insane for new music and discovering rad artists/bands. I love it. It’s one of my favourite things to do…hence why I even created this music blog – to be able to share with you some of my favourite bands, artists, songs and videos.
That being said, I wanted to do a special post today about some of the up and coming bands you should definitely be on the lookout for. Either they’re brand spankin’ new, just recorded a new album, have new material comin’ atcha, or they’re just a band I hadn’t discovered and want to mention in this list. So, here they are:
1. Vinyl Thief – This Nashville-based band is a fave at the moment. This electro-rock band started up round 2012 with their Rebel Hill EP. They were featured in Paste Magazine as “A Band You Should Listen to Now” – and gosh, Paste was no where near wrong with that statement. The band creates music that, to me, is so mesmerizingly catchy, you’re sure to be latched on in no time. One of my favourite songs from their new album “Fathoms” is “Smooth” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). I wish sometimes I was still back in Nashville to catch them playing live! (One can hope they’ll come to Charlotte soon enough though!) The band is – Grayson Proctor (vocals, synth), Logan Purdom (guitar), Sam English (keys), & Andrew Broadway (drums). | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and Youtube.
2. YØUTH – I’ve already raved enough about this talent-of-wonder, Julian Dente..so I won’t say too much more. My favourite track right now is “Breathing Easy” (<– Click to listen on SoundCloud). But seriously, expect nothing but sheer talent and amazing music to be created by this guy. I can’t wait for more songs to be released, new music videos, tour dates..the whole lot of it. BE ON THE LOOKOUT, for real. | Check out his Instagram,Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud and YouTube.
3. Katie Deter – This young Birmingham, Alabama-native is definitely a unique talent. Her folky, somewhat bluegrass sounds and sweet, girly vocals lend a whimsical, relaxing and endearing quality to her music. She is simple, honest and gentle in her lyrics, with an innocence about her, and yet there’s a touch of sass to them as well. Just take a listen as she sings about love, growing up, and yes, the DMV – you’ll get what I’m talking about. I can’t seem to choose a fave, they’re all so awesome – so, here ya go…listen to the whole “Brooklyn Sessions”here. | Check out her Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
4. VÉRITÉ – I just recently discovered this phenomenal band from New York. At the moment they only have one single out called “Strange Enough” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud) and I can’t seem to get it out of my head. Just take a listen and you’ll see what I mean. So, all this being said…make sure you’re watching for their next move, cus if the music they’re creating is as half as good as this single…it’s gonna be epic. | Check out their Instagram, Twitter, and SoundCloud.
5. Keaton Henson – Oh boy, oh boy! I have so many wonderful things to say about this UK-based artist. Henson’s songs are beautifully written, with lyrics that will crush you or uplift you. Amazingly enough, within these songs – that are pretty much ‘sung to the floor’ – they manage to lift listeners up somewhere around the heavens and make you feel all the emotions. Whatever Henson put emotionally into his songs, you’re going to feel it. His thin, tremulous voice, accompanied by either his clean-toned electric or 12-string acoustic guitar (and maybe occasionally accompanied by a cellist) make for an almost discomfortingly naked emotion in his music – the best kind, though. His sound reminds me of a cross-breed between Manchester Orchestra, Bombay Bicycle Club (ballads) and Sleeping At Last – so what’s not to love?! My favourite tracks by him are “Strawbear“, “Charon“, “You” and “Sweetheart, What Have You Done To Us” (<–Click to listen on SoundCloud). (OH, and his music videos are the best!) | Check out Henson’s Instagram, SoundCloud, YouTube, Tumblr and Vimeo.
“The goal of the Dream Walking Society is to embrace the age of digital communication and to collaborate, experiment, and explore making music with musicians all over the world. The theme of each of our projects corresponds with the up and coming book series by Igor + André. Each album will act as a soundtrack to each book.“
I personally think it is a brilliant idea. A fresh, new take on music. And, again, something to be aware of and on the lookout for new projects, ideas and collabs. Also, the guys are always looking to collaborate, so if you are a musician interested in being a part of their projects, or if you are a director wanting to direct a music video, you can contact Tim Frost at Tim@thedreamwalkingsociety.com. | Check out their Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud, Youtube and Tumblr.
So, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed reading, listening and spending time with me today for this massive post! Make sure you check these bands and artists all out, and again…hawk eyes for these talented musicians. You don’t wanna skip a beat.
I can’t even explain how stoked I am on this London-based duo, Anushka‘s new album “Broken Circuit“. The electro, house, dance music that is created by these two is infectious. Victoria’s delicate, sweetly soulful croon is one to ogle over – you’ll never want to stop dancing and singing along.
So, let’s get to it. Their new video for “Never Can Decide” – vocal bass music from the future. Colourful, soulful, dancy…just watch and you’ll know what I mean. ;)
Monday night I got to live my dream of finaaaaally seeing Bombay Bicycle Club live at Cat’s Cradle. It was everything, and waaaay more than I could have even imagined. They’vre hands down one of my favourite bands, and probably one of my favourite live shows…ever.
The band opened with “Overdone” and of course, they immediately commenced blowing my mind. This show was far from a soft lullaby to tuck the audience in for the night. The English band, with it’s typical warm tones and softer ballads, dashed all expectations of anyone who thought that’s what they were about, with a head-banging garage band persona. They closed with “Carry Me” and prior to that, “What If” – which is one of my all-time favourite older BBC songs, off their 2009 album “I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose”.
I honestly don’t have any other words to say except THE SHOW WAS FREAKING AMAZING. It was insanely hot that day, (in the mid 90’s) and the venue didn’t really have any A/C going…so, everyone was drenched in their own sweat..GROSS, I know. It was so worth it though! Tons and tons of dancing – I mean, if you’re gonna sweat, at least do it right!
Here are some videos and photos from the show! Don’t mind the occasional shaky video..and lower quality iPhone pics..enjoy! :)
“Lights Out, Words Gone”
“It’s Alright Now”
(And a little bonus: Royal Canoe’s “Button Fumbla” – cus I have to rep my Canadians!)
So, I was brainstorming which album I should review first on my blog. I then realized it was a no-brainer. James! I mean, c’mon, have you even heard his music? I don’t think I know one person who doesn’t enjoy him. It’s hard not to enjoy this 22-year old’s brilliantly produced syncopated electronic music.
His new album, Overgrown literally left me speechless and wanting more the first time I sat down to listen to it. When I say wanting more, I literally mean it was being played all day, all night, and when it wasn’t, a song was being hummed or my brain was repeating songs from the album over and over. (I told you my life is literally music, ha.)
Overgrown does not miss a beat. It is straight up inspiration, abundant with raw, genuine emotion. Mesmerizing melodies and harmonies, along with James’ hauntingly deep, and moody vocals. Cannot. Get. Enough. The whole album maintains a warm atmosphere, a steady pulse. Never too much, and never too little. It was tough picking one track I favoured most, and that really stood out to me – they are all brilliant! However, I did realize there was one that stuck with me, “I Am Sold“. This piano-based track starts simple, and then proceeds to sprawl into a soft, sexy bass-filled drum loop. The lyrics though, are what continuously resonated through my brain, one of James’ fortes; to engage the audience with beautiful, relatable lyrics: “and we lay nocturnal, speculating what we feel.” Well done, James, you have done it once again! You are the master of emotional speculation, and I will speculate what I feel about this album for many more days to come. I am – in every sense of this tracks title – sold.
So, there it is. I hiiiiiighly recommend everyone to take an in depth listen to this album. Shut your lights off, close your eyes, lay on your bed and get sucked into the cosmic atmosphere that is Overgrown. Ahhhh, James Blake! What are you doing to us?! Your capabilities to continuously melt your every listener into a big puddle of emotions is relentless. Thank you for existing.
The hauntingly gorgeous music video for James Blake, “Overgrown”.